Mid to Principal Java Developer Opportunities
We have some exciting opportunities for Mid and Senior Java Developers to join our growing team here at William Hill.
Working with us, you’ll be at the heart of the technological revolution of one of the world’s most trusted betting and gaming companies. We deal with projects ranging from mobile Casinos to online Sportsbooks and everything in between. The cloud-native software you design will process 500 online bets per second, accommodate 20 million users, and process 160 terabytes a day. You can be sure there are many more challenges waiting for you.
Our people are at the heart of everything we do, and we offer a fast-paced environment where we have fun, celebrate success, and give you all the tools you’ll need to be your best self. It’s not just our colleagues we look after we’ve got a responsibility to our customers too and we work hard on our ambition that nobody is harmed by gambling
Your role in the team
Our teams are working on a number of exciting projects including building the next generation Sports Betting platform that optimizes flexibility, performance, responsiveness and resiliency. The technologies we like to use include Java, SpringBoot, Kafka, Cassandra, Postgres, Kubernetes, AWS, Postgres, etc.
We’re looking for experienced Java Developers to work within an agile team. You will deliver high-quality, customer-focused, software to exceed the customer’s expectations. You will be active in all phases of the development lifecycle.
You’ll design and develop high-volume, low-latency applications for mission-critical systems, delivering high-availability and performance. You’ll contribute in all phases of the development lifecycle. This will involve writing well designed, testable, efficient code and making sure designs are in compliance with specifications. You’ll also prepare and produce releases of software components, and support continuous improvement by investigating alternatives and technologies and presenting these for architectural review.
- Build efficient and reusable systems and abstraction
- Develop prototypes
- Work with microservice on the backend
- Work on CI/CD
- Keep the high-level of test coverage in the team across multiple codebase (>95%)
- Include security mindset as part of delivery
- Work on integrating with external systems
- Write integration tests
We’re looking for experienced Java Developers who are curious and open minded when it comes to technology. You’ll need to bring a positive, collaborative attitude and some decent commercial development experience from an Agile/DevOps environment. You’re familiar with the full SDLC of an application, contract-first development, and also confident with CI/CD and monitoring tools.
It is important that you have a fundamental understanding of Java, and the Java ecosystem.
You will have:
- Experience in a similar role
- Experience in gRPC (some roles)
- Insight of Java 8
- Experience with test-driven development
- Experience with Time Series database (KDB, InfluxDB, etc) (some roles)
- Good knowledge of RDBMS (Postgres, MySQL)
- Experience with Kafka
- Experience building low latency application
- Familiarity with various microservice patterns
We have a variety of roles and familiarity with some of these concepts will be beneficial (dependent on the team and project)
- Knowledge of Scrum methodology
- Experience with Kubernetes native java framework (Quarkus)
- Experience with Micro service CQRS architecture
- Experience with Graph database (Neo4J, Memgraph)
- Experience with Envoy/Istio and Kubernetes
- Cassandra (or other NoSQL databases)
- GitLab (or other SCM platform)
- GitLab CI (or other CI/CD tooling)
- New Relic (or other monitoring platforms)
- Splunk (or other logging platforms)
- AWS Lambdas
- ISTIO (or other service meshes)
- Terraform (or other infrastructure as code tooling)
- OpenAPI (or other contract first approach with APIs)
What we offer
You’ll get to work with like-minded individuals in great teams based across the globe. All working in Agile delivery methods and deploying into Amazon Web Services (AWS). You’ll have the autonomy to flex your strategy and solution design across a truly global product that drives the heart of our sports betting for William Hill worldwide and you’’ have access to a personal learning budget, coupled with 10% learning time each month to help you learn and grow.
We take the safety and wellbeing of our employees seriously, especially at this challenging time. We have put in place robust Covid19 measures and are supporting our new employees with a smooth onboarding and training programme and making you feel welcome and part of our team.
We are welcoming our teams back to the office, however, we want to offer a balanced approach to office and home working - now and for the long-term future. We know that not everyone is the same, many people have embraced home working, whilst others can’t wait to get back. Therefore, we are offering our employees the opportunity to work from home up to 80% of the time with 20% of office time built in to ensure we get some face to face collaborative team time - and the chance for a coffee and a catch up!
- Development opportunities, including IT conferences, training, lunch and learn sessions and an individual training budget.
- Complex work and the chance to make an impact.
- Mac OS or Windows hardware to choose from.
- New, bright and comfortable offices in the city centre with a garden roof terrace and incredible city views. Tram stop right outside the office.
- Free underground parking space for cars, motorcycles and bikes.
- Great working atmosphere, in a collaborative team of amazing people, with forward thinking managers.
- Competitive base salary and benefits, with fully paid private healthcare (Lux Med), fully paid Multisport pass or MyBenefit cafeteria points for employees on employment contract, employee referral program, and an extra day off for your birthday.
- Flexible employment (B2B or Employment Contract).
- Creative rights scheme.
- Flexible working hours.
- Chill out room and gaming room with VR, PS4, FIFA, foosball table, billiards, table tennis, football league, board games, company competitions with cool prizes.
William Hill in Krakow
Our office sits on Kotlarska and our brilliant building has a range of different workspaces, hangouts and breakout areas to suit your every need. Situated in the centre of Krakow next to Vistula river we’re in the heart of one of the world’s most iconic cities. There are parks everywhere, you can enjoy a walk along Planty, or go to Kociuszko Mound to admire the city from above. With plenty of culture on your doorstep, you’ll be spoilt for choice. In fact, why not have a sneak peek around our office with Street View and see if you can picture yourself here.
Join us #behindthebet
Would you like to join us?
Great! Find out all about the recruitment process and see how step by step you can become a part of our Grand Parade community.
Send your resume via our website and if you’re successful, we’ll contact you via email or phone.
2. HR screen
Our Recruitment Team will arrange a call to discuss your experience and learn more about your job expectations.
3. Technical interview
The next step on the road will be phone (Skype or BlueJeans) call with one of our technical recruiters who'd like to learn more about your skills and knowledge.
4. F2F interview
...and we're almost there! The final step is meeting with Development Lead or Hiring Manager who will tell you more about what we do and will be happy to answer your questions.